To overcome these issues, and meet the needs of today resource constrained organization, a security solution should have the following attributes
- Include protection from all the most common threats by providing firewall, virus protection, URL filtering, VPN, wireless and Spam protection functionality at a minimum.
- Run on a single hardware platform, which can be upgraded as traffic volume increases without having to scrap the investment in the existing solution.
- Install all components, including a security hardened operating system, from a single CD.
- Share configuration information among all components to reduce administrative effort and errors.
- Provide a common management interface for all security functions, and further minimize administrative labor and training needs by using a point and click paradigm.
- Provide automatic updates of all security and operating system functionality through a single Internet source, minimizing operating costs and security gaps.